Friday, March 18, 2011

Meet our Team - Interview with Pamela


“I cherish my “handmade” life”
Today we feature our interview with Pamela, representing the “inkleing” store


   I live and work in the wilds of New Mexico the “Land of Enchantment”
The name of your store
        The name of my store is “inkleing” spelled with a small “i”. It’s a play on a type of loom I sometimes use, little ideas and the writing group “The Inklings” that had Tolkien, Lewis and other writers from the 1930's and 40’s as members. I am an avid reader!
URL location on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/inkleing
Random Facts about You?
       I grow most of my own food, keep chickens (for eggs not eating) and I’m a beekeeper… how’s that for random.  I spin and make my own natural plant dyes.  I’m also a wicked woodworker and build my own looms and weaving frames. 
How long ago have you started weaving?
         It’s been several years I don’t remember exactly. In recent years it’s been mostly Tablet Weaving.
What got you started weaving?
        Ha ha… I started weaving when I realized that I have no talent for knitting… none what so ever. Can a person have two left hands? LOL
Any particular technique(s) that you enjoy the most?
         Absolutely, Tablet Weaving is my favorite. I love the fact that it requires very little in the way of equipment a few cards with holes and a frame, that’s it! I made my own frame from a picture of one found on the Oseberg Viking Burial ship.

What part the process makes you the most passionate?
        For me it’s not about the sale or the end result. The process and the experience of doing something that’s been done the same way for more than a thousand years it what does it for me. You just can’t beat Iron Age technology!
What is your source of inspiration?
         Wow that’s a tough question. I draw from so many things for inspiration. Sometimes a trip to a Museum to look at ancient textiles, I can stand and stare at a fragment of cloth or trim for hours. I also keep a pad of quad paper and a jar of colored pencils out at all times. You never know when inspiration will strike. We have the most amazing Sunrises here all I really have to do is step outside and there it is painted in the sky.

Where do you sell?
        Most of my business is word of mouth and referral I do a tremendous amount of custom work. Occasionally at the Renn Faire and SCA events and until very recently on Ebay I just closed my shop of 10 years in October and of course Etsy!
 Apart from creating things, what do you do?
         I hike in the spring and summer with my Border Collie Grace, my best friend and constant companion. A favorite past time is “Shed Hunting” hunting for the antlers that deer and elk drop in the early spring every year.  Really that is more of a work related thing since I use those for Runes and jewelry.  In the winter I study early Medieval Migration Period history, art and textiles, take classes or whatever else strikes my fancy. It's pretty cold here in the winter we sit at just below 6000' so it does freeze and snow. It's not what people think of when they think New Mexico.

What first made you want to become an artist?
         I’m pretty sure that happened in kindergarten when we did our little handprints in clay!  When I worked at a “real” job I was a make-up artist for Estee Lauder for 12 years. I guess it is always there front and center or just off in the periphery.
Please describe your creative process
         That would depend on the purpose of the piece.  If it’s a piece of period trim I ask lots of questions. What fabric it will be paired with, is there a persona, character, role or part you are playing?  If it’s a Tarot or Rune bag I need to know the deck being used or divination tool that the bag will hold. I prefer to use natural fabrics and fibers. Then again sometimes I just have a pattern or color combination stuck in my mind that has to come out to make room for other things.
What handmade possession do you most cherish?
        It would be impossible to pick just one thing.  I guess I would have to say I cherish my “handmade” life.  I try to make or buy handmade whenever possible. I have many thing in my home created by friends and I cherish each and every one of those things.
What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
         Keep it fun and do what you love.  My target audience is fairly limited but it is those people and that lifestyle that I am most passionate about, so for me high sales and big numbers is not the point of my Etsy shop, I just love it that my stuff is out there. I think the most important thing is to examine what it is you want from the experience.
What do you like about Etsy?
         I love that is basically a handmade world (with a side trip to the vintage store..always welcome) it can be hard at times to stand out but there seems to be a niche for everyone.
How do you promote your work?
          I’m pretty much a referral business.  I do like the new "Circles" feature Esty has it really helps to promote your own things and the items and shops that you have marked as a favorite. I do have a personal Facebook page but no blog no website no twitter....yet.  Mostly because I have so many other activities I just can’t fit those things in.  Plus I need 8 hours of sleep. (Remember I love Iron Age technology) LOL
What weaving activities or guilds to you participate in?
             I’m a member of Las Aranas Spinners and Weavers Guild here in New Mexico and I take a few classes every year at the best shop in the state “Village Wools"

7 comments:

  1. Ah, New Mexico, my favorite state -- most magical. And perfect setting for a weaver. Can't wait to take a look at your work, as card weaving is the one kind of weaving I haven't tried...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work, excellent interview. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is satisfying to read about the member-artisans of the
    etsy weavers team. Everyone has a very different story and
    take on their approach to weaving as a discipline.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great interview and beautiful workings!

    So pleased to learn about you and your lifestyle.

    Siana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool that you made your own loom and that you spin, dye and weave as well. Love your NM sky photo. The sky is such an amazing feature of NM. Of all the shops I've been to, Village Wools has not been one of them. Now I will add it to my list of things to do when I visit NM this summer.
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You remember me a friend of mine that live among the nature, here in Italy, far from the town, keeping chickens , living mostly, just like you, from her agricoltural produce! She is a wonderful weaver on a very simple loom...just like you!! Isn't it funny?!
    I love your work and your interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in the four corners area and I love new Mexico. There is no where that the sky is as blue. Tablet weaving is also my favorite.I really like what you said about having a store on ETSY, that its seeing what you have made and that you make it your own experience. Very good interview.

    ReplyDelete